Science Club is back!Back
Today Years 7 & 8 used airflow to reduce friction and made CD hovercrafts in Science Club at lunchtime!
Try this experiment out at home by following the instructions below:
You will need:
Plastic bottle with pop-top (see picture below)
CD or DVD
- Center the pop-top cap over the hole in the middle of the CD.
- Use the sellotape to secure the cap in place. Make sure your seal all of the gaps airtight to prevent any air from escaping.
- Push down on the pop-top cap to make sure it is closed.
- Inflate the balloon. Twist the end to keep the air from coming out but do not tie it closed.
- Stretch the mouth of the balloon over the pop-top cap. Be sure not to let too much air escape from the balloon.
- Adjust the balloon so it stands up straight and centered over the CD.
- Place you CD Hovercraft on a smooth surface and open the pop-top by pulling it up.
- Give your CD Hovercraft a gentle push and observe what happens.