The Enterprise Academy at Leventhorpe exists to give students the opportunity to experience real business and improve their employability skills ready for when they leave.
There are two sections: Junior and Senior.
Junior Academy: The Soap Challenge
The Junior Academy will give four students from each form in Years 7 to 9 the opportunity to take part in the Soap Challenge. These students will then form two mixed year teams from each house to compete for the title of The Enterprise House over an eight week period.
During the competition the students will:
- Work together to form a successful team with people they are not used to working with - something they will have to do when they go out to work themselves.
- Be taken through the process of designing, making, marketing and selling their own soaps. Design, marketing and finance sessions will take place at lunch times, with production sessions happening after school.
- Have the opportunity to attend Business Breakfasts before school where they can discuss their ideas and pick up extra tips and support.
The winning team will be the one that scores highest in the categories of Innovation, Marketing, Finance (Sales and Profits), Ethics, Business Skills and the Presentation. The competition will really stretch the competitors, as students will need to demonstrate a number of key skills such as team-working, problem-solving, perseverance, communication and commitment. Whatever profits the teams make they keep. They worked for it and it is important that they realise any successes they achieve will be rewarded. Do not worry if, in the unlikely event they do not make a profit, we will not be sending you a bill!
Students can apply via forms that will be distributed in register trays or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Junior Academy. Students should state their Name, Form and the reason why they should be given a place in no more than fifty words. Do not worry if you do not get in this time as there will be further opportunities throughout the year.
The Senior Academy will be launching after the Easter break for Years 10 upwards. The Senior Academy will provide opportunities for students to explore and develop their ideas into viable businesses. Our first session will centre on looking at students' ideas and then we will begin the process of helping them develop their plans. These budding entrepreneurs will be supported throughout the process in areas such as Marketing, Finance, Selling and Business Skills.
I am indebted to the following for their offers of support:
- Terry Carney of SalesRemedy, www.salesremedy.co.uk
- Rebecca Freeman of Redhot Marketing, http://www.redhot-marketing.co.uk/
- Wendy Gordon of Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce, www.hertschamber.com
- Garry Mumford of Insight Associates, http://www.insightassociates.co.uk/
- Claire Ramsbotham of Mark David Enterprises http://www.markdavid.co.uk/
- Philip Waterfield of Strettons Chartered Surveyors. www.strettons.co.uk
We still need more support, if you think you can help please email me at email@example.com